Name Change


Although most people never think about changing their legal name, certain circumstances occur in which adults may choose to do so. While marriage or divorce is the most common reason adults choose to change their legal name, it is not the only reason. For security purposes, job development, gender transition or their own religious views, some people choose to change their name lawfully.

At The Law Office of John Vernon Moore, P.A., our attorneys provide assistance to clients who wish to change their first and/or last names legally. We will file all the required documentation with the courts, government departments and law enforcement authorities if necessary, depending on the particular circumstances. If you consult with our law firm, we are going to remove the stress and complexity from the procedure.

Process of Name Change in Florida

The process of changing a name in Florida can vary depending on the reason you wish to change your name. For example, if you are trying to change your name as a result of a child’s divorce / adoption and the legal proceedings are not yet final, as part of such legal proceedings you may request the change of name.

For many other purposes to change your name legally, you would need to file a formal petition in the relevant court for a name change. You’ll also still need to perform background checks, including sending fingerprints to match to state and federal criminal records. After that, there will be a hearing where the Judge will be given reasons for the change of name.

You should know when filing a petition for a name change in Florida of other important considerations, which include the following:

  • Must be a resident of Florida
  • Must be 18 years of age to file the name change petition
  • Fees involved
  • Notice to interested parties

After your petition is accepted by a judge you may need to take action separately to change your name in other places. This involves getting a fresh driver license, passport and card for social security. To get ID’s with your new name, all agencies will need proof of court approval.

Contact our Florida Name Change Attorneys

If you have questions regarding name change in Florida, contact the law firm of John Vernon Moore, P.A. for a free consultation.

assault The Law office of John Vernon Moore

Get 30 Mins Free Telephonic Consultation

Fill out the 24-hour response form below

Legal Issue? Contact Us Today!

We are Available!

700 N Wickham Rd Ste 206, Melbourne, FL 32935
Google Review Logo The Law office of John Vernon Moore

4.9 Stars | 100+ Reviews

See on Google →
Fill out our 24-hour response form below.

Call For A 30 Mins Free Telephonic Consultation